10 Feb 2009

Last but not least...

Dear family,

Göran's daughter # 3 - Maria Johansson.

And now, the story of Maria, my youngest daughter. As I told you earlier on back in April 2008 she married 120 years ago...12th May 1888. The man she married was called Carl-Petter and had his home in Rydaholm, where Maria probably worked for a while. We know that she moved from her home in the parish of Angelstad to Rydaholm. She was 24 years old and he was 27. No wedding photo to find. But as I remember they looked very solemn saying yes to one another, but I can be wrong. I told you earlier that they married in the parish of Angelstad. I have to check that up and might correct myself.

Soon they were to be blessed with their first son. He arrived as a New Years gift on the very first day of the year of 1889. The family then lived in the parish of Berga, about 15 km from Hovdinge. The little baby was given the name Gideon, 15 years later shortened to Gid in his new homeland. He was the young boy I just recently told you about, leaving Sweden to try to earn some money to send home. His picture to the right.



Together with him far away from home went his sister Ellen. She was born shortly after him, in July 1890. The family then lived in Bjärnaryd, in the parish of Angelstad. They went back with their uncle Oscar, my oldest son, in 1904 and stayed with his family in White Rock in South Dakota. They came back to Sweden for a visit later but returned to live their lives in the States. Her picture to the left.




In 1892 another son was born. His was given the name Simon. The priest in the Lutheran Church had to write a special note about him in the ministry books: "has not received the Christian baptism".







Some of you might wonder why as you remember me telling you that Carl Petter, the father of the children, was especially eager to serve his Lord. Well, he also believed in following his Master's words about first believing and then as a sign of turning to God being baptized. Carl-Petter did probably object to the customs of the Lutheran Church, baptizing children. The older children might not have been baptized either, but not all priests were as good as this one concerning making notes for secretaries to read a hundred years later. In all the younger sibling's birthbooks the same notes are to be found.


So, Maria, my daughter was busy. In 1894 Edith was born. Her picture to the left. She emigrated at the age of 18 and lived her life in Illionios.







In 1896 Hanna was born. Her picture to the right. Hanna lived a long life, being almost 100 years and was one reason why my secretary got involved in my family. Hanna talked about her sisters and brothers being in heaven, wondering why she should be sitting there in the old-people's home when she wanted to see Jesus. While waiting, she told my secretary many stories about life, like when she lived in the parish of Angelstad when she was a little girl. She went to school there, but only for four semesters. She could start a little later as she already knew how to read. "I had heard my sisters and brothers read. They thought I just knew it all by heart, but I could read. So I did not need to go to beginners class."

Hanna also told the following to my secretary in 1988: "I was not at home much between semesters. I stayed with other families and looked after their children. I was not more than five years old when I was in Bjärnaryd. The mother in the family had to set the fire going in the tiled stove because it would be too cold in the house while she was milking the cows in the barn. So they were afraid that the children would touch the charcole. So that's why I was to be there. I remember getting some wool leaving for home. I suppose they thought I should have something to bring home and did not really have anything else to give me. I was not at home much. I wanted to help, because I saw that they needed it." In 1898 when Hanna was three years old the family moved to Bolmaryd in the parish of Nöttja. I guess she was about 20 km away from her home taking care of the children in Bjärnaryd.


In 1889 Ruth was born in Bolmaryd, Nöttja. Her life was to be shorter than Hanna's, she died only 37 years old. Her picture to the left.


















And then there were two more siblings, Caleb, born in 1901 in the same place as his older sister. At Oscar's visit he must have looked just like he does on the picture to the right.



And finally, Hulda, born in 1903 at Björkedal, under the north farm in Angelstad. So she was a baby when Oscar returned to see his mother, sisters and brothers and their little ones. Her picture above.





I was richly blessed with grandkids! Will love to tell you more about their lives later, with rich blessings from above,

Göran Danielsson.

No comments: